Gender in Development and Humanitarian Assistance Diploma (GDHA)
What is the Gender in Development and Humanitarian Assistance (GDHA) Diploma?
- A continuing education program targeting students and practitioners
- Organized by the Institute for Women’s Studies in the Arab World (IWSAW) and the Continuing Education Program (CEP) at the Lebanese American University with Human Rights Education Associates (HREA)
- Provides skills to address the full range of gender issues in development and humanitarian contexts
- Critical for policymakers and practitioners, researchers and academics, activists and advocates
- Uses an active and engaged learning approach involving practical workshops, with an emphasis on reflective and collaborative learning
How is the GDHA Diploma structured?
- 10 courses (15 classroom hours each) covering all critical aspects of this field
- Five courses are CORE – including topics such as gender equality, gender in development, gender and humanitarian assistance – everyone needs these!
- Five courses are specialized – participants select ONE stream to focus on:
- Gender Integration supports mainstreaming of gender issues across development and humanitarian work
- Gender-based Violence provides technical skills in GBV prevention, response, monitoring, and coordination
- Gender and Conflict addresses the women, peace, and security agenda
- To get a diploma, complete the full 10 courses (with a minimum attendance of 80%) – this takes around six months, depending on courses and your own pace of learning
- Per course a student will on average have three hours of classroom time and three hours of preparation and study
- It is possible to take individual courses – you’ll receive certificates for those courses
- Classes are evenings and weekends - on the LAU Beirut campus or remotely through web-conferencing – check the schedule online for details
Why do I need a GDHA Diploma?
- Relevant for governmental and non-governmental organizations, donor agencies, UN and other multinational institutions, civil society
- Provides technical marketable skills in gender programming to address gender inequalities
- Contextualizes internationally-recognized good practice for the Arab world
- Builds Arab capacity to address Arab development and humanitarian challenges
- Offers access to jobs with international and national agencies, government, civil society, academia, and much more!
What are the costs of the GDHA Diploma?
- Full diploma: US$ 3,480 (after 24 December 2016: US$ 4,350); Discounted rates are available for groups (3+)
- It is possible to customize courses for groups outside of Lebanon and to provide fast-track diplomas as long as there is a group of at least 12 participants – for customized options, ask us! email@example.com
ACT NOW – CHANGE YOUR WORLD